Re: lvs-dr with freebsd jailhost as realservers: resolved.

Subject: Re: lvs-dr with freebsd jailhost as realservers: resolved.
From: Mike Bloom <nanogbloom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:53:32 -0400
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Mike Bloom wrote:

Hi,

The problem was that lvs-dr requires the vip to be bound to a lo0 on each of the jails, rather than just the jailhosts lo0 interface.

By applying a patch to the jail subsystem that allows multiple ip's (http://www.digitaldaemon.com/FreeBSD/FreeBSD/index.html) I was able to run a jail with lo0 assigned the ip of the vip.

thanks for straightening us (me) out on this. I just looked up the wikipedia entry for FreeBSD jails

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Jail

which I knew nothing about. Sounds pretty neat.

No problem. I find them very useful for clusterable services like radius, mysql and ldap.

I hope this helps some other folks using freebsd jails, this one has stumped me for a few days.

Why do you use the FreeBSD jails? You have multiple instances of realservers on each host? Why (you're getting less throughput / node)?

Thanks Joe

Encapsulated revision control pretty much. I can clone a system image on my nas that is in production in a mass hosting environment with perl5.8 and upgrade it to 6.2, look at the performance, load and stability on either another public ip, and use it as staging before promoting it to

The jail is also handy for partitioning access for security as well, so it acts as an extra layer of privilege separation.

Its a very light weight architecture compared to the overhead of vmware or xen, but if my lvs-dr setup was being used for a service that was load centric instead of HA, I'd be running a dedicated realserver.

Mike