[lvs-users] CentOS-5 VLS doesn't virtual httpd doesnt failover when http

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] CentOS-5 VLS doesn't virtual httpd doesnt failover when httpd dies
From: Nick Stephens <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I have setup a test environment for determining if VLS would be a good
solution for balancing our multiple webservers.  Currently we are using an
old-fashioned DNS Round Robin setup, so anything should be an upgrade
here!  However, I am having a few key problems that I cannot determine the
fix to, which is where I hope you can help :)

The setup:

CentOS 5 server setup [weblb.domain.com] as primary VLS router (no backup
in the lab yet) with one external IP address (no internal) using Direct
routing with IPTables marking port 80/443 traffic with "80"

2 CentOS 5 webservers setup [web01 and web02] with one external IP each
and IPTables setup for PREROUTING information.

The problem:

When I create my intial connection to the VIP, it passes me correctly to
one of the machines.  However, if I shutdown apache on that box, or
poweroff the machine entirely, I am never redirected to the online box,
nor do any alarms go off.

I am using the default monitoring script included, and I can see it
opening port 80 on both web01 and web02 (by looking at apache access
logs), but it doesn't seem to want to fail over.  Furthermore, if I
manually go in and deactivate a Real Server, it still continues to try to
send traffic to it.

I have looked around on Redhat's site and the web for general debugging
and troubleshooting guides, but I am at a bit of a loss.  Does anyone have
any suggestions on where to start looking?

Is this potentially an ipvsadm or nanny issue?

Thanks so much!

PS - I have intentionally been a bit vague regarding some of the setup so
as to not hit the list with a 3 page email.  If you ask I will gladly
produce more information to help in the process.

Nick