Re: [lvs-users] where is connection?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] where is connection?
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:24:25 +0100
On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 17:10 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> No. Directors and Real Servers are separate machines.

Right, got that, In that case once the realservers are setup, just leave
them alone. Their config is the same regardless of the active director.

> While working through the HOWTO it explained that for LVS-DR you have to
> handle the ARP issue. I choose to handle it by setting the arp_ignore and
> arp_announce on the real servers and then I just used the notify
> functionality to perform the settings via rsh during state transition.

It's not necessary. If the realservers are configured to not ARP for the
VIP when the master director is MASTER, then they remain the same when
the backup switches in. No need to change anything *at all*.

> Ok, understand that. Then why are there no entries showing in the MASTER
> table for these connections? If they were copied over I would think that they
> would show in both. Makes it difficult to figure out the state of the
> connections
> currently.

The current MASTER director will see the FIN/ACK and RST packets from
the client, and thus remove the connection from its' templates. Just in
case the director falls over during the period the client transitions
from ESTABLISHED to FIN_WAIT or RST state, the connection remains on the
backup director for several seconds (60, I think, but I'd have to read
the code) to make stateful failover a working reality. If you do the
following on both directors:

watch -d -n1 -- ipvsadm -Lnc

then you can watch in near real-time what the pair of them are doing, in
terms of connections.

> The error in rsh setting default gateway is syntax. It is not even
> changing the gateway. I can fix that or just remove it.

Switch it off. It's not necessary, not at all, and is confusing the
issue no end!

> The rest of this setup is working fine except that you cannot reliably
> tell where the connections are.

They're on the MASTER director. They're wherever the VIP lives at any
given time; they *cannot* be anywhere else. Remember, however, that an
HTTP connection is relatively short-lived - a client fetches a page, and
*blink* oh, you missed it.

> To me it looked like the connection was being made to the BACKUP because
> the only entry that I could see was in the BACKUP table - the MASTER was
> empty. But if you are saying that the entries shown in the BACKUP table
> were only copied from the MASTER why wouldn't they be in the MASTER table?

Because the client has ended the TCP connection. Remember: *blink*.

If you remove your rsh commands (just to overstate it, they're not
needed) then things become a *lot* simpler.

It's entirely plausible, by the way, that your upstream router just
plain doesn't respond to GARP and continues trying to send to the
defunct director. If that's the case, change your transition script to
send an ICMP echo from the VIP to the router when the director becomes
MASTER. That will force the router to update its' ARP cache, and keep
the convergence times to a minimum.

Graeme