Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Xen issue

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Xen issue
From: Matthias Saou <thias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:57:21 +0200
Matthias Saou wrote :

> I'm setting up various Xen guests, and want to use LVS to load-balance
> web traffic across them. I've tried two similar simple setups, and with
> both I see the same issue where LVS doesn't work properly when the
> director send the request to a real server on the same physical Xen
> host.
>
> Scenario 1 :
> - 3 physical servers (Xen Hosts) with eth0 and eth1
> - 3 web servers (Xen guests), one per host, listening only on eth1
> - LVS NAT is configured using keepalived on the first Xen Host
>
> When I make a web request to the LVS director, it works fine when it
> sends it to the 2nd or 3rd web servers, but only gets about the first
> 12kb of the page when it sends it to the 1st web server (the only one
> on the same Xen Host as LVS). For pages smaller than 12kb, no problem.
>
> Scenario 2 :
> - 3 physical servers (Xen Hosts) with eth0 and eth1
> - 3 web servers (Xen guests), one per host, listening only on eth1
> - 1 LVS director (Xen guest), on the first Xen Host, eth0 and eth1
>
> The exact same problem happens.

I've continued searching, and I've found this post on the xen-users
list reporting a similar problem :

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-11/msg00480.html

As Xen gains popularity, I guess we'll be more and more facing this
issue. I'll continue digging to try and find a solution.

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
Load : 0.31 1.22 2.27