Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Xen issue

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Xen issue
From: Matthias Saou <thias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:17:18 +0200
Graeme Fowler wrote :

> On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 15:47 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > I don't know if I'll be able to figure out why. It does seem like a
> > connection tracking problem somewhere on the Xen Host (dom0), or maybe
> > the Xen guests (domU), but I doubt it.
>
> Humo(u)r me. If the following isn't set to 0 already, try it:
>
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
>
> It's possible that you're hitting a bug which was fixed in 2.6.12... you
> shouldn't have it in 2.6.18, but anything is possible. Especially
> regressions.
>
> For more details around this, see
> https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2005-June/061101.html
> and
> http://linuxgazette.net/116/tag/6.html

The symptoms are very similar indeed. I just tried, but it didn't help.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, though.

Does anyone know how I could try and track down the TCP connection
problem? I.e. know if it's the Xen host, the LVS director Xen guest or
the web server Xen guest which is "getting something wrong"?

I'm been doing a lot of basic tcpdumps, and only see that at some
point, clients are still receiving data from the LVS address, to the
same port even, but no longer consider it as the followup to the
previously received data.

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
Load : 0.31 0.36 0.32