Re: [lvs-users] Backing up a virtual server

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Backing up a virtual server
From: RU Admin <lvs-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:48:21 -0400 (EDT)
If you're maintaining more then a couple of linux machines, I highly
recommend setting up a cfengine server.  Besides the fact that it greatly
helps with disaster recovery, it centralizes all of your configuration
changes for your servers.  I personally maintain 60+ servers using
cfengine, and on the cfengine server, all of the configuration files for
those 60+ servers takes up 50MB (18MB when compressed).  Then on the
servers themselves, I backup the "data" only (MySQL, email queues, etc.)

Without a cfengine server, I would end up wasting GIGs of backup space,
and a LOT of time jumping onto each machine to make a change.  With
cfengine, I can make a change and it automatically gets sent out to
multiple machines without me having to do anything.

Don't get me wrong, setting up a cfengine server, does take time and
planning, but the benefits of it are 100% completely worth it!  In the end
it saves a lot of time and money.

Just my personal experience, and opinion...

Craig