Re: [lvs-users] Highly available ldap

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Highly available ldap
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:59:17 -0500 (CDT)
In regard to: Re: [lvs-users] Highly available ldap, Joseph Mack NA3T said...:

>> If you do an ldapsearch against our directory, you're getting our LVS-DR
>> openldap:
>>
>>      ldapsearch -x -LLL -h ldap.nodak.edu -b dc=ndsu,dc=nodak,dc=edu \
>>              uid=mooney
>
> I'm not an ldap person, but I assume that vs2.ndsu.x.x. and
> ldap.x.x are the same machine?

Yup:

$host ldap.nodak.edu
ldap.nodak.edu is an alias for vs2.ndsu.nodak.edu.
vs2.ndsu.nodak.edu has address 134.129.111.102

>> There's another organization co-located with the IT organization here at
>> the university, and they've also been running LVS-DR in front of their
>> openldap directory for nearly as along as we have.
>>
>> LDAP is a critical component of Hurderos, which we've been using since
>> its inception.  Hence the need for a highly-available LDAP.
>
> I take it that there's no replication between ldap servers
> like you can so with mysql servers?

There certainly can be, but in our case we have a master repository
(an Oracle database) that feeds adds/deletes/modifies directly to our
two back-end LDAP servers (bypassing the LVS-DR director).

The built-in replication has really matured.  Once OpenLDAP 2.4 is out,
I need to revisit what's possible with it.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)