Re: [lvs-users] MySQL HA - timeouts on "complex queries" ?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] MySQL HA - timeouts on "complex queries" ?
From: Jessie <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:03:45 -0700
Hi Joe,

On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:19 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Jessie wrote:
>

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've tried two different approaches on LVS-DR to get a HA MySQL
>> system going.
>> * LVS-DR using two realserver definitions
>> * LVS-DR using one realserver and one sorry server (per HOWTO)
>>
>> We have two MySQL 5 servers in master-master mode (copper & olive)
>>
>> We have two LVS-DR load balancers, (lb2 and lb3)
>>
>> Each LVS-DR has a vip hostname: (tea, soda)
>
> I assume an "LVS-DR" is a director, but I don't know why you
> have two VIPs.

1 VIP per director

lb2 and lb3 are LVS-DR directors

on lb2 is a VIP called tea
on lb3 is a VIP called soda

>> lb2:
>> tea:3306
>>       copper (realserver)
>>       olive (sorry server)
>>
>> lb3:
>> soda:3306
>>      olive (realserver)
>>      copper (sorry server)
>>

>> 'mysql.example.org' has two DNS A records (tea,soda) and round robins
>> which VIP/LB to hit.
>
> so this isn't really an LVS then?

'mysql' is a DNS hostname that points to two VIPs on two LBs for HA

each VIP has a different Mysql-Server active (remember this is a
master-master replication)

>> connecting to 'copper' is fine
>
> directly? from where?

"The internet" (ie outside the director IP subnet)

>> connecting to 'olive' is fine
>> connecting to 'tea' is NOT fine with the apps above, but manual mysql
>> queries *seem* OK.
>> connecting to 'soda' is NOT fine with the apps above, but manual
>> mysql queries *seem* OK.
>> connecting to 'mysql' is NOT fine with the apps above, but manual
>> mysql queries *seem* OK.
>
> have you shown that LVS is working by testing with a simple
> service like telnet?

I have around 50 VIPs across two directors working. I can establish a
socket to the mysql server through LVS and perform simple
mysql queries. I can do the same going directly to the realserver ip.
What fails are large/complex SQL queries THROUGH the director/VIP

>> I've tried using just one LVS-DR server and it didn't make
>> any difference. I cannot produce any problems using LVS
>> via a manual mysql query through LVS All production apps
>> when pointed to an LVS host, will occasionally work, and
>> other times just timeout.
>>
>> The firewall on all the systems looks clean
>
> don't install firewall rules till you have the LVS working

I turned it off -- no diff.