Re: [lvs-users] Page load lockups..

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Page load lockups..
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Janar Kartau wrote:

> Hi there,
> We recently moved several sites from their own dedicated servers to a shared
> Apache cluster. All was fine till the last site was migrated...
> Now, we see random lockups (loading of the page hangs for a while) which
> last up to ~5 seconds.

haven't a clue. Have you done all the right things for a big
website? eg enough instances of httpd running?

> Seems this only happens under heavier load... which
> leads me to the question if it hits some limit or something?

I have a link in the HOWTO to the squid performance webpage
(which you can probably find directly with google) which
tells you how to tweek apache.

> I haven't encountered this problem if i browse the real
> server directly. Loadbalancer is CentOS 5.0 and Apache
> nodes (3 of them) are CentOS 4.5. All sites use LVS-NAT,
> persistent connections (1800 secs) and firewall marks (for
> ports 80 and 443).

nothing to do with your problem, but you could try the -SH
scheduler instead of persistence.

> No errors in dmesg. Only errors i see right now are a LOT
> of "ERR!" state connections in ip_vs_conn (all of which
> are IP btw, TCP is fine).

Horms (or Graeme) might know what they're about.