Re: [lvs-users] FW: Self Configuring High Availability LVS with Keepaliv

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] FW: Self Configuring High Availability LVS with Keepalived
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, David Hinkle wrote:

I'm trying to put together a self configuring high availability LVS.  Each of my units is a proxy server.  Each of them is identical, except a little configuration, and I intend them to come up, elect a director, and serve content.

this was a highly hoped for goal in the early days of LVS. The director isn't all that different to a realserver. When a director fails out, one of the realservers should be able to take over, presumably automatically. The service listening on the VIP would have to be shut down on going from realserver to director.

However one we got the two director failover working, people lost interest. One working scheme was enough, at least for the moment.

I notice when I have a unit in BACKUP state, when I do "ipvsadm" I see all the lvs stuff is configured in the kernel.

Does this mean that the unit will try to do load balancing when a connection comes in instead of just ignoring it and allowing the proxy server's user space software to process it?

usually a director in backup state doesn't have the VIP, so there are no packets for it to ignore. If you sent it packet for the VIP backup director would loadbalance them.

If so, Can I configure keepalived in such a way that the ipvsadm stuff isn't set up until a unit goes to MASTER?

it doesn't take any time to setup ipvsadm, so yes.

And if so, will the connection state information successfully synchronize?

once the demon starts and lets the partner demon in the other director know where it is