Re: [lvs-users] 2 Quick Questions

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] 2 Quick Questions
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:17:22 +0000
On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 02:31 -0800, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> Then is there a practical limit? When does LVS or ldirectord start to
> bog down?

It depends entirely on your local environment:

1. Line speed
2. CPU speed
3. Bus speed
4. What else the director might be doing

So if you have uncontended gigabit ethernet connections using PCI-e 1.1
cards and a really, really fast processor with masses of RAM (and the
right kernel to support it) then you'll get vastly greater performance
than, say, a Pentium-III motherboard from six years ago with 512MB RAM
connected via FastEthernet to a contended T3.

I appreciate that this is fairly obvious, but it demonstrates clearly
that the more resource you can throw at the problem, the more power you
will get - more RAM means you can handle more connections, and the
faster bus means you can get them in (and out, if necessary) a lot
faster.

Unfortunately there's no real-life current baseline for this. If only we
had a lab and a traffic generator ;-)

Graeme