[lvs-users] No Application data in LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] No Application data in LVS
From: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:27:33 +0100
Hi,

I am quite new to LVS and I wanted to understand it from the basics. So I set
up a LVS director according to the mini howto, NAT manual example

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#example_LVS-NAT

for tests I only used one real server.
ipvsadm look like:
xen01:~# ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  xen01:telnet rr
  -> 192.168.200.16:telnet        Masq    1      1          0

When I telnet from a client to the virtual server address I see:

---
Connected to 192.168.188.101.
Escape character is '^]'.

---

But no login line. The same with HTTP protocol. No Application data are
displayed in the client.

If I reconfigure my director as a plain router eveything works smooth. I can
log into the real server with telnet, at least I see a login line.

When i tcpdump on the real server and the client I do see no difference in
number and contents of the packets on both machines.
When the connection hangs I see a lot of
Server:23 -> Client:3796 P 1:13(12) ack 25 win 362  <nop,nop,timestamp
21277911 3009388219>
but no packet back from the client.

It seems that something very strange happens. Perhaps anybody gor an idea?
Where should I search further?

I use debian etch. Director and real server and virtual xen virtual machines.
Client is a real machine.

ipvsadm version 1.24+1.21-1.4

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch@xxxxxxxxxxx
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42