Re: [lvs-users] LVS with Weighted Least-Connection Scheduling

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS with Weighted Least-Connection Scheduling
From: Guy Waugh <gwaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:50:42 +1100
Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Krueger wrote:
> Hi everyone,

<snip>

> Notice how I have given each virtual server a different weighting for the
> real servers. My aim was that if each virtual server has a single distinct
> client connected, then they would all be balanced to different real servers.
> Based on the weightings specified above.

Are you saying that there will only ever be 3 distinct clients
connected, and you want each of them to be balanced to a separate real
server?

If so, you must be pointing each client at their own virtual service
address, so you may as well do away with LVS altogether and just point
them at their own real server directly.

If not, just use one virtual service, load-balanced between your three
real servers equally (i.e. each real server has equal weight), but
consider using a persistence value, so that each client will 'stay' with
a real server for a certain amount of time... like this:

virtual=10.32.30.125:18007
         real=192.168.0.10:18007 masq 1
         real=192.168.0.20:18007 masq 1
         real=192.168.0.30:18007 masq 1
         checktype=on
         virtualhost=eaivcon3.kdc.ird.govt.nz
         scheduler=wlc
         persistent=600
         protocol=tcp
         checkport=18001
         service=http
         request="/PingWebClient/pingApp.jsp"
         receive="REPOUT"

... or then again, perhaps I am missing what you are getting at entirely 8-)

> However, unfortunately traffic is assigned to an arbitrary real server for
> each virtual server if there are no other connections already established.

Yes - presumably the LVS director is load-balancing requests between the
three real servers. The weights probably only come into it once there
are a few connections happening.

Regards,
Guy.