Re: [lvs-users] LVS - NAT and kernel panic

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS - NAT and kernel panic
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:38:32 +0000
On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 18:04 +0100, pierrick grasland wrote:
> I have been testing my lvs director (with ipvsadm and debian etch, kernel
> 2.6.18) for a basic SIP message (options), in order to find the capacity of
> my box.

OK...

> But, when I reach something around 2000 messages/seconds, my director send
> me a message about uncatch interruptions, and make a kernel panic.

Ouch!

> When I restart it, it show me the following :
>
> Begin:Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
> Done.
> run-init: /sbin/init: Permission denied
> Kernel panic - not syncin: Attempted to kill init!

Oh dear. That's a filesystem problem.

> With a liveCD, I can browse my disk, but I have nothing in /etc
> (input/output error), and I can't find anything useful on my logs (they have
> stop to record when the kernel panic occurred)
>
> So, did someone encounter before this type of problem ?

It sounds to me like there's something in your hardware causing this. If
you can, you need to catch the oops (a photo if transcribing it is too
much!) so we can debug it.

I believe, given the state of the filesystem afterwards, that you're
seeing some weird VFS or EXT3 (assuming you're running with an EXT3
filesystem) bug. The fact that the oops doesn't get logged is
symptomatic of the filesystem having blown up.

Graeme