Re: [lvs-users] Decreasing the number of backup nodes!!

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Decreasing the number of backup nodes!!
Cc: keepalived-devel <keepalived-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:05:59 +0100
Visham

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 15:34 +0400, Ramsurrun Visham wrote:
> I wanted some opinion on the following:

You'd probably get a faster response (perhaps) on the Keepalived mailing
list where this is a bit more relevant, so I'm copying it to that list
too.

> In a Keepalived failover configuration, we normally have an master
> node and a backup node. Normally, we have a backup node for each
> master node. Is their a way to decrease the number of backup nodes
> required?

Well, yes, I guess.

> I made a backup node be part of 3 different vrrp_sync_groups with
> three different master nodes. It did work but I wanted to know if this
> is recommended and if there is a better way to achieve this? Can
> Keepalived parameters be changed dynamically, i.e. w/o having to stop
> Keepalived, change the .conf file and then re-start the application?

One thing to be aware of is that if you have a single backup node and
three master nodes, the master nodes *must* only handle 33% at peak of
the traffic the backup node is capable of handling. If you failed over
all three masters with a traffic rate exceeding that which the backup
node can handle, then it *will* fail (at least in terms of connections
being dropped, congestion and so on).

When you say "keepalived parameters", what do you mean? VRRP settings?
LVS settings? Health check settings? Something else?

Graeme