Re: [lvs-users] Decreasing the number of backup nodes!!

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Decreasing the number of backup nodes!!
From: "Ramsurrun Visham" <vishamr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:08:35 +0400
> Visham
>
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 15:34 +0400, Ramsurrun Visham wrote:
> > I wanted some opinion on the following:
>
> You'd probably get a faster response (perhaps) on the Keepalived mailing
> list where this is a bit more relevant, so I'm copying it to that list
> too.
>
> > In a Keepalived failover configuration, we normally have an master
> > node and a backup node. Normally, we have a backup node for each
> > master node. Is their a way to decrease the number of backup nodes
> > required?
>
> Well, yes, I guess.
>
> > I made a backup node be part of 3 different vrrp_sync_groups with
> > three different master nodes. It did work but I wanted to know if this
> > is recommended and if there is a better way to achieve this? Can
> > Keepalived parameters be changed dynamically, i.e. w/o having to stop
> > Keepalived, change the .conf file and then re-start the application?
>
> One thing to be aware of is that if you have a single backup node and
> three master nodes, the master nodes *must* only handle 33% at peak of
> the traffic the backup node is capable of handling. If you failed over
> all three masters with a traffic rate exceeding that which the backup
> node can handle, then it *will* fail (at least in terms of connections
> being dropped, congestion and so on).
>
> When you say "keepalived parameters", what do you mean? VRRP settings?
> LVS settings? Health check settings? Something else?
>
> Graeme

Dear Graeme,

many thx for the reply..

> When you say "keepalived parameters", what do you mean? VRRP settings?
> LVS settings? Health check settings? Something else?

 By Keepalived parameters I meant changing, for example the value of
the priority field in a vrrp_instance while keepalived is running. Are
there any console commands to do so or do I have to stop keepalived,
change the .conf file manually and then re-start Keepalived?

Warm regards,
Visham