Re: [lvs-users] ipvsadm and packets leaving a gre tunnel

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvsadm and packets leaving a gre tunnel
From: "Marco Lorig" <MLORIG@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:19:34 +0200
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:19:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Von: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>

> If director1 is the default route, then packets get to
> director2 via NAT and then if the realservers there are
> down, the packets come back by gre to director1?

Not exactly. In normal operating, director1 serves clients and realservers with
ipvsadm at location1. So does director2 at location2 with its own  clients and
realservers.
In a backup scenario, there are no more realservers at location 1 which can be
served by the director1 at location1.
Director1 now starts routing through gre to director2 at location2. In this
case, it is ensured that director2 has realservers available, which serve the
request.

> this is a little out of my area. Does nopmtudisc mean that
> the source side of the gre tunnel doesn't hear about the
> results of pmtu?

If I understand correctly, nopmtudisc within GRE-tunnels masks fragmentation to
client and server.

> new connection or the current connection as well?

The connection is terminated after the transfer, so only new connections don´t
work , I reckon.

Thanks,

Marco