Re: [lvs-users] LVS-TUN and iptables

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-TUN and iptables
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 05:36:05 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Dan Brown wrote:

>> the tunl device usually has the VIP
>
> Well I don't use the tunl0 device itself for anything but not having that up
> prevents me from having all of my tunl0:X (eg. tunl0:43 for say
> 216.94.145.43) aliases running, so I simply assigned it a non-useful IP.
> Assigning it the IP of eth0, or some arbitrary private LAN IP appears to
> have no effect on the availability of an IP as long as the tunl0 device is
> up so that the VIPs on the aliases work as well.

are you saying that you get it to work with an arbitary IP
on tunl0 and the VIP on eth0:x?

>>> If I block everything except traffic to the server from the
>>> director I still get traffic through to the remote server.
>>
>> I have no idea what this means.
>
> Ok, so the LVS director runs a check on the following virtual IP setup via
> ldirectord.conf via the standard methods.
>
> # IP Address 216.94.145.43
> virtual=216.94.145.43:80
>        real=209.167.162.87:80 gate 1
>        real=216.94.137.194:80 ipip 5
>        persistent=3600
>        service=http
>        request=".lvs.html"
>        receive="Test Message"
>        scheduler=rr
>        protocol=tcp
>        checktype=negotiate
>
> If on the real server getting tunneled traffic I block traffic via
> ip(6)tables (on eth0)

are you running an ip(6) version of ip_vs()?

> to the IP address 216.94.145.43 for ANY IP address,

do you mean that you block packets to the VIP from 0/0 on
eth0 on the realserver?

> but leave the director seeing the real server as up itself,

I have no idea what this means

> I can still grab content off of the site on 216.94.145.43

do you mean the client can connect via LVS to the VIP on the
realserver?

> as though the iptables rules didn't
> exist.  Obviously this shouldn't happen.

why not?

> It works

what's it?

I'm giving up here. Please give me a post which explains the
problem

Joe