[lvs-users] Bonding module in xor and rr mode

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] Bonding module in xor and rr mode
From: "Guillaume LECCESE" <Guillaume.LECCESE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:55:15 +0100
Bonjour,

We use bonding module in collaboration with LVS (like many people ... I
think !).

I'm trying to load the bonding module 2 times. First, in round-robin (bond0)
mode and secondly in xor mode (bond1).

I have noticed to use the parameter max_bonds=x, where x is egal 2 in my
situation.

So, I use the following configuration (Debian with Kernel 2.6.28.1)

# cat /etc/modprob.conf
alias bond0 bonding
alias bond1 bonding
options bond0 mode=balance-rr miimon=50 max_bonds=2
options bond1 mode=balance-xor miimon=50 xmit_hash_policy=layer2+3

# cat /etc/modules
bond0
bond1

# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        pre-up ip link set dev eth0 up
        pre-up ip link set dev eth1 up
        up ifenslave bond0 eth0
        up ifenslave bond0 eth1
        post-down ip link set dev eth0 down
        post-down ip link set dev eth1 down

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        pre-up ip link set dev eth2 up
        pre-up ip link set dev eth3 up
        up ifenslave bond1 eth2
        up ifenslave bond1 eth3
        post-down ip link set dev eth2 down
        post-down ip link set dev eth3 down

When the system boot, all it's ok. The bonding interfaces are up.

Let's go to check /proc to verify the configuration:

xxxx@~ # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.3.0 (June 10, 2008)

Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin)
MII Status: down
MII Polling Interval (ms): 50
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: eth0
MII Status: down
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 00:15:17:9e:be:ee

Slave Interface: eth1
MII Status: down
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 00:15:17:9e:be:ef

xxxx@~ # cat /proc/net/bonding/bond1
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.3.0 (June 10, 2008)

Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin)
MII Status: down
MII Polling Interval (ms): 50
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: eth2
MII Status: down
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 00:15:17:9e:be:94

Slave Interface: eth3
MII Status: down
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 00:15:17:9e:be:95

The instances are in rr mode. I believe that the first configuration of the
bonding fix the parameters for all instances of the module.

So, how set different parameters for each instance ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

--
Guillaume