[lvs-users] Broken fallback behaviour on 127.0.0.1

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Broken fallback behaviour on 127.0.0.1
From: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:22:27 +0000
http://lists.graemef.net/pipermail/lvs-users/2008-July/021071.html

The thread linked above describes exactly the behaviour I've seen and
strugged with when trying to configure LVS.  In the past I've inherited
badly configured systems where the fallback behaviour only worked by
accident, because the sysadmins who created them didn't realise that
they had apache listening on all ip addresses and not just 127.0.0.1

In my opinion, this behaviour is broken.  If it's not going to be fixed,
can the documentation at least be updated to match the actual behaviour?

The thread implies that LVS did once behave as documented but that this
changed, possibly unintentionally as a side-effect of some other
feature.  Is there a reason why it can't change back?  I *want* to be
able to run fallback services on the director because it minimises
dependencies; I want to be able to run them only on localhost because
that is more secure and on configurable ports for flexibility.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?