Re: [lvs-users] Ldirector Startup Delay

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Ldirector Startup Delay
From: "Brandon Hilkert" <bhilkert@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:20:56 -0500
Hey Sameer,

We're just using negotiate, not both. Sorry if I made it confusing. Part of
the problem is that most of our websites are database driven and then page
we check loads a bunch of data objects, so sometimes during high traffic
load, it may take 15-20 sec for the page to load, so I have to increase the
negotiate timeout to something much higher to account for this, or else the
thing would be failing over constantly. For us, a simple connect check
wouldn't necessarily be a true test if the website is functioning properly.
The IP could be up and pass the Ldirector test, but if the page doesn't
display properly, then it's useless and should certainly failover. We're
balancing windows machines, and sometimes and they don't just fail like
that, the IP will be up, but the website wouldn't be displaying.
Unfortunate, but true...

I've tried to pair the negotiate timeouts with the site itself on a
case-by-case basis hoping to minimize the delay during startup and failover.
It seems I don't have much choice. I guess I just have to hope that the
Ldirectord doesn't randomly go down, but that's why it's on Linux right? :)

Thanks,
Brandon