Re: [lvs-users] Ldirectord not working with heartbeat, works standalone

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Ldirectord not working with heartbeat, works standalone
From: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:06:40 +0000
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:33:17PM +0100, Dusan Djordjevic wrote:
> When I start Heartbeat with 2 IP addresses and ldirector manually,
> outside of heartbeat, everything works fine. But when I add ldirectord
> to heartbeat as resource, it fails on startup. Any idea why same setup
> won't work when started from heartbeat, but works standalone ?

In my experience, it's much better to run ldirectord separately and not
have it launched by heartbeat.

        1.  LVS doesn't care whether the virtual addresseses are
        actually configured on the box or not, it simply processes the
        traffic whenever it sees it.  So there is no harm in having
        ldirectord running on the box when it is not the active master.

        2.  There is a time delay in startind ldirectord.  If you
        configure it as a hearbeat resource, then LVS remains in an
        out-of-date configuration (or completely unconfigured) on the
        new master until ldirectord has been shut down on the old master
        and started on the new one.

I see no gain at all in having ldirectord be a resource managed by
heartbeat.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.