[lvs-users] Fully disabling UDP "persistence"

Subject: [lvs-users] Fully disabling UDP "persistence"
From: Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:12:00 +0900
Hello,

LVS defines a UDP connection as packets coming from the same source IP
within a 5 minute window. Which I guess for services like NTP would be a
good thing[TM].
One can tune that down to 1 second with "ipvsadmin --set" and while this
will give a much better spread (or any spread at all, since with a packet
every 2 seconds on average here it never changed realservers with the
default) it still will stick with one realserver EXACTLY when you want it
to balance things most, at the most busy times.
This is for radius and if our last mile provider drops all of Tokyo in a
maintenance we get greeted with several 10000 auth-requests at the same
time. Precisely the time when sticking with one server is not what we
want.
So I presume the (in 2000) suggested UDP timeout=0 option never got
implemented, right?
And I guess using the NQ scheduler would not help in this situation either,
since the persistence happens before it can decide to route this to an
unused realserver, correct?

I guess an idea for the future would be a scheduler that is not connection
but packet oriented, this would provide me exactly with what I need for
this (admittedly special) case.

Oh and is there any other way than calling "ipvsadmin --set" to set those
timeout values in a persistent way? Feels a bit silly to write an
initscript just for this, but since these don't seem to be sysctl
variables...

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@xxxxxxx           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services