Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation
From: "L.S. Keijser" <keijser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:02:16 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 23:27 -0700, Don Steiny wrote:
> I found this recent and comprehensive documentation that is missing one
> important thing. It tells that we need add a VIP, but to what? I have
> machines that have 2 ethernet cards. On are on an internal subnet
> 172.21.4.32 and so on, and the others go though the router to the
> outside: 66.124.8.1 and so on. When it says "set up a VIP" and that it
> can be "pinged from the outside" I am totally lost. Do I do an ifconfig
> on eth0:1 or something like that? What ip address should I use? If I
> make it part of the internal network, then I can't get to it from the
> outside, if I make it part of the external, then the machines inside
> can't see it. HELP!!

Think logically: if you need a VIP that can be reached from 'outside',
it must be a public address, right? Also you don't mention which method
of LVS you're going to use.

Anyway, you'll need a public VIP and an internal VIP in the case of NAT:

[client] -> [director] -> [realserver] -> [director] -> [client]

And set the default gateway of your realserver to point to the internal
VIP on the director to guarantee the packets travels back through the
director to the client.

If you use DR you'll need only a public VIP:

[client] -> [director] -> [realserver] -> [client]

The default gateway on the realserver can be set to its 'normal' value.

Btw, all this is documented in the (mini-)HOWTO. There are even
ready-to-run examples of DR/NAT that you can modify. I suggest you
really read the HOWTO again because if this boggles you, you're in for a
treat when it comes to the ARP problem ;)

Good luck

--
Léon