Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation
From: Don Steiny <steiny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 06:53:21 -0700
I am doing DR and the ARP problem makes sense.   The part I still don't
understand is "I need a public and private VIP."  The ISP I am using has
assigned me some IP addresses.  I know how to use ifconfig to put
multiple addresses on an interface, that is no big deal, but what I
can't figure out is how to decide what IP address to use for the VIP.  I
have looked up VIP and found many explanations, including ones that tie
it to lo, ones that say that it does not need to be tied to an interface
(and I don't know how to do that).  Unless it is one of the ones my ISP
lets me use, then no one can get to me from the outside.  I need to both
configure the machine and use it from outside the data center.  I have
an IP address that I go into with ssh.  If that is my RIP, then what
address should my VIP be?  Should I request an address from my ISP that
I can use for the VIP and configure it on eth0?  Do I get an address
from the ISP and have them configure the router so people can get to it?

-Don