[lvs-users] LVS director and client on same box

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS director and client on same box
From: campbell mcleay <campbell.mcleay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:03:57 +0100
Hi,

I am attempting to set up an LVS director which will also be the origin of
the client requests. The server I
am doing this on gets client connections to port 80, which then get
redirected via an iptable rule to a httpd.worker listening on port 3128
(which do certain modifications to the packet, including changing the source
IP address. The requests then get sent one of two other Apache boxes (to
which I want to load balance with high availability, so I can't just use
'balance'). Both the director and realservers are on the same LAN segment.
My experience so far is that the director, which has a VIP residing on an
aliased interface of that which the real IP is on, does not load balance the
request (from a tcpdump I can see the packet being sent to the VIP, but the
TCP handshake never completes as it never gets sent to the realservers). I
only see the packets if I tcpdump on the loopback interface. ip_forward is
set to '1' in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward. This is an unusual setup,
admittedly, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to
do to get it to work? An iptables rule has been hacked up with primitive
load balancing + a perl helath checker for the moment, but I would like to
be able to use LVS + keepalived as it is tried and tested (the impromptu
solution has not yet been tried on a production scale yet).

Many thanks for any insights,

Campbell