[lvs-users] Question about ARP's and LVS-DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Question about ARP's and LVS-DR
From: Philip Marcus <pmarcus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:46:15 -0700
Hello LVS Users,

It's been a while since I've used LVS-DR and I'm having some difficulties.
I've read
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.htm
several times now, specifically:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#2_6_arp_announce

In the past I recall using lo:0 or dummy0:0 and the hidden patch.

My current machines are running kernels 2.6.24.

I've set the VIP IP on the realserver to be on eth1 (the second unused NIC
in the server)
I then manually ran sysctl for each of these:

net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

And everything looked good.

I went ahead and configured my ubuntu machine's
/etc/network/interfaces to bring up eth1 automatically which worked fine.

When I put the above sysctl commands in /etc/sysctl.conf though, the machine
didn't come back from a reboot.
I thought there may have been a type, so I tried on a second machine, which
also didn't come back from a reboot.
Not sure what state they are in, I need to head down to the colo and get
them back up.

Am I doing something wrong?
What could cause the above behavior?

Thanks,