Re: [lvs-users] Ghost connections

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Ghost connections
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:39:11 +0100
On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 14:40 -0600, James Devine wrote:
> I have heartbeat/ldirectord setup to balance web traffic between 2 web
> servers.  I noticed that ipvsadm -Lnc is listing established
> connections that the destination server is saying do not exist when I
> grep for the source IP in netstat -an.  Any idea why these connections
> aren't getting cleared out?

If you're running netstat on the director you won't see them as the
sessions are not established at that level on the director. The session
table seen by ipvsadm is at ip_vs level, not IP - it's application
agnostic.

If you're running netstat on the realserver and it's already gone
through the various WAIT states and timed out, then you're using -DR and
the director isn't seeing the full conversation so doesn't know what's
going on. The sessions seen under "ipvsadm -Lnc" will disappear after (I
think) two minutes, unless you're using persistence at which point it
depends on your configuration.

Graeme