[lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment

Subject: [lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment
From: Siim Põder <siim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:41:39 +0200
Hi

I have a bit of a religious question: is LVS good enough to use in
"critical environments" (however you would feel like defining it)? We
are currently using LVS as load balancer and netfilter as firewall in
pretty much everywhere including several critical places (like PCI
infrastructure) and in operations team are quite pleased with the
functionality, performance and hackability.

However, some conservatives have raised the questions wether open
source is dependable enough to use in situations where a lot of money
and customers are involved and have suggested that we should be using
F5, Citrix or Cisco instead (for load balancer, firewall and content
inspection). Their concern is that those commercial tools would get
much more testing (by customers) in critical infrastructure than open
source would as open source is mostly used in less demanding places.

Basically, they are saying that everyone else is using commercial
tools and therefore we should, too.

Understandably you may not want to disclose too much information, but
does anyone know where LVS (or netfilter - OT in this list but
relevant for my personal case) is used in high-profile sites or
setups? Any concrete or anonymous examples or links to previous
similar discussions?

I tried interrogating google and mailing list archives but did not
find many examples to win this techincally irrelevant but emotionally
(for some people) important religious war. If there are a few good
examples, hopefully it will help me and anyone else facing similar
criticism in the future..

Siim