Re: [lvs-users] LVS Sync in Ldirectord

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS Sync in Ldirectord
From: "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:19:27 +0100
On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 16:37 +0100, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Dezember 2009 16:22:08 schrieb Darren.Mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > I'm using ldirectord to load LVS modules rather than the ipvsadm init
> > script. Man ipvsadm says you need to start the ipvsadm sync daemon using
> > --start-daemon state and --stop-daemon. As ldirectord is doing the loading
> > / unloading of ipvsadm rules then I think the ldirectord script itself
> > needs to support ipvsadm daemon sync states?
> >
> > Regards
> > Darren
>
> Could be. But if you use a resource manager like pacemaker to control
> ldirectord the sync daemon would be switched off in the passive node. So no
> sync here.
>
> controlling the ldirectord in the cluster has the advantage that the cluster
> can react if the ldirectord dies.
>
> If you would like to have ldirectord also to control the sync of ipvsadm you
> would have to develop a multistate resource agent. Something like:
> - Stopped: sync and ldirectord stopped
> - Started as slave: sync started, ldir stopped
> - Started as master: sync and ldir started.

You can, without any negative result, run both master and backup sync
daemon on both hosts. I always have them set to a different sync-id, but
perhaps that's not even necessary:

node1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 50
node1 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 51

node2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 50
node2 $ ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 51

Just create a simple init script for it, or put it in rc.local. Maybe
you would have to do a modprobe vs or something similar before starting
the daemons if you don't have ipvs built into the kernel.

I realize you could somehow create a fancier way than this, but i don't
want to make it more complicated. LVS is hard enough already.

--
Léon