[lvs-users] Non-existent VIP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Non-existent VIP
From: Piotr Gbyliczek <pg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 11:03:23 +0100
Hi

I have some problems with heartbeat/lvs load balancing setup.
I'm trying to recognize what is really happening, as I'm in need to reconfigure
this setup. It is more heartbeat problem, but maybe somebody can help.

At first it looks like simple setup with 2 lamp servers serving site, and 2
load balancers, in active and standby/failover. lvs is happily directing
traffic
to lamp nodes, at least looking on ipvsadm output :

ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  123.123.123.244:443 rr persistent 600
  -> 192.168.2.104:443            Route   1      12         16
  -> 192.168.2.103:443            Route   1      4          0
TCP  123.123.123.244:80 rr persistent 600
  -> 192.168.2.104:80             Route   1      3          24
  -> 192.168.2.103:80             Route   1      2          10

But, my problem is that I'm expecting 123.123.123.244 IP, as a VIP, to be
present on one of load balancers, where heartbeat takes care of moving it in
case of failure. It is not. Both load balancers have eth0 interface with one
IP, eth1 with one IP, and loopback. Any ideas what I could use to investigate
this ?? Any tools to check heartbeat resources/setup or so ?? For now I can
only see that tcpdump shows traffic for 123.123.123.244 going through LB-2,
which is active load balancer. But how it is doing it, that is a mystery for
me. There could be a hint in logs, as it contains a line about promiscous
mode, but still can't see how IP can live on interface without actualy being
on that interface.

My config files below :

haresource:

LB-2        \
        ldirectord::ldirectord.cf \
        LVSSyncDaemonSwap::master \
        IPaddr2::123.123.123.244/28/eth0/123.123.123.255

ha.cf:

logfacility        local0
bcast        eth0                # Linux
mcast eth0 225.0.0.1 694 1 0
auto_failback off
node        LB-1
node        LB-2
respawn hacluster /usr/lib/heartbeat/ipfail
apiauth ipfail gid=haclient uid=hacluster

--
Piotr Gbyliczek
Second Line Technician

--
ForLinux Ltd, Innovation House,
Cafferata Way, Beacon Hill Business

Tel:  0845 4210444  FAX 01636 703910
Web:  http://www.forlinux.co.uk/

Registered Company No 04227715
A BS9001 & ISO27001 Accredited Hosting Provider

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments maybe
confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).

Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use
of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express
permission of the sender. The views expressed in this email are those of
the individual and not necessarily those of ForLinux Limited.

ForLinux Limited email is for business use only.