Re: [lvs-users] what logic am I missing? cause I don't see any benefits!

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] what logic am I missing? cause I don't see any benefits!
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:43:36 +0100
On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 13:25 -0400, William Ottley wrote:
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Seeing the config for your LVS would help.

That said...

If you're using persistence - all requests from a single client will go
to a single webserver.

If your client app, and the Apache webserver, are configured to use
keepalives - it's quite likely all (or a large proportion) of the
requests will go to a single webserver; this is because the connections
don't get closed until the complete client session has ended.

What you need to do is to run the test again, over a longer period, and
ensure that the balance of requests is 50/50 over the longer duration.
Use the following to monitor this:

watch -n1 -- "ipvsadm -Ln; echo; ipvsadm -Ln --rate"

If the spread isn't 50/50 then configure your LVS to make it that way,
and make sure the client/server pair are configured in as basic a way as
possible.

Also note that you could be filling up network segments, interfaces, or
buffers.

Graeme