Re: [lvs-users] Difference between Local and Reinject forwarding

To: Sivaraman Kannan <k.sivaraman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Difference between Local and Reinject forwarding
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:18:26 +0900
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57:50PM +0530, Sivaraman Kannan wrote:
> Hi all
>     I am a novice to LVS and have been playing around with ipvs for some
> time. Does anyone know the difference between the Local and Reinject
> 'forwarding mechanisms' (as listed by ipvsadm)? The reinject patch was added
> by a Ludo (found the patch at www.austintek.com) - would like to understand
> better before starting to use it. There is some documentation on this added
> by Ludo himself but I find it beyond me. If someone could explain the basic
> differences, that would be great. Thanks!

Hi Siva,

I'm a bit rusty on the reinject patches, but I believe that their
purpose is to allow LVS to be run in reverse more easily. That
is, rather than load-balancing connections from the outside world to
a (usually small) set of internal real-servers; load balance connections
from a (small) set of internal machines to the outside world, utilising
more than one connection to the outside world.

In contrast, Local is used when a linux-director is also a real-server.
Its just a fast-path when packets are to delivered locally.