Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment
From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:18:18 -0430
Hi!

I believe you are just "getting started" with LVS, I suggest that:

1. Take three or four servers (doesn't have to be *real* servers), and
try a basic implementation, and see how you feel with it.  This, off
course, based on your current configuration (an scaled-down version of
your current setup).
2. Make accordingly scaled tests.
3. Tell us how it went! or, ask any questions you may have on your way.

LVS will "do the job" you need (balance among a cluster of servers),
so: yes, you can do the load balancing with LVS.

Now, one question: What is the speed of your SAN storage? (SAN to
Server), it *have to* be at least 5Gbps (I have seen sites with just
2Gbps connections to their storage).

Other question: how is your current server load? how are you
connecting these 5Gbps? (a 10Gbps ethernet card? or a bond of several
1Gbps cards?).  Sometimes a server tune-up can allow you for twice the
current performance.

Other thing: if you are currently using postfix + dovecot + some kind
of authentication there, you should stay with it, specially
considering you have ~20k domains (I would not like to migrate all of
these, unless being paid by-the-hour), you should only make sure the
whole system is scaled, or at least, well benchmarked to know that you
won't have another bottleneck on the auth side.

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso.