Re: [lvs-users] ipvs not doing any link balancing

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvs not doing any link balancing
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 04:54:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Sivaraman Kannan wrote:

> Hi guys
>    I have a setup where I have three interfaces on my
> linux box, one is a LAN interface and two are connected to
> the internet and I want to do link balancing of all
> packets coming from the LAN onto the two WAN interfaces.

I assume from your posting that you understand that this is
the reverse of the way LVS was designed to work. There's no
reason why your setup can't work. However if you're
balancing port 80, a proxy server is the usual device here.

> I have configured ipvs to do the link balancing
> (scheduling is weighted round-robin) using the following
> command for each WAN interface:
>
> ipvsadm -a -f <fwmark> -r wan_real_server_ip -z wan_interface -w weight -j

In a standard LVS setup, the LANIP would be the VIP. I guess
it should be possible to use the WANIP as the VIP (the WANIP
would be the DIP in the standard LVS).

> Right now, the behavior is that LVS does not do any link
> balancing, but only sends it out of one interface (i think
> the first interface that came up). ipvsadm -lnc shows a
> whole bunch of connections in SYN_RECV state...anything
> which came in on the other interface never gets a reply.

"came in" .. which direction is "in"? - from the internet or
from the client?

> If I specify the real server IP as the WAN gateway

you have multiple WAN gateways?