Re: [lvs-users] setting up LVS for maximum incoming FTP throughput?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] setting up LVS for maximum incoming FTP throughput?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> I would like to set up LVS to provide maximum possible throughput for
> _incoming_ FTP traffic (up to 20 Gb/s).
>

> With only outgoing traffic, the setup would be easy: just set up
> everything in DR mode, and any outgoing traffic would go directly to the
> internet.

a common misconception with tcpip is that its throughput is
measured in bps. It's a packet delivery system and the rate
of delivery of packets is independant of the packet size.
Each 1500byte data packet has to be ACK'ed, so the speed is
going to be the same whether you're uploading or
downloading. If you're pushing fully loaded packets, you'll
get max throughput; if the packets have only 1byte, you'll
be measuring almost no throughput.

This was a surprise to me, and I didn't realise this till I
measured the throughput as a function of packet size

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/performance/

I discuss the results further here

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.performance.html#8000pps