Re: [lvs-users] Kernel 2.6.35 and 100% S.I. CPU Time

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Kernel 2.6.35 and 100% S.I. CPU Time
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:44:00 +0100
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 20:45 +0100, JL wrote:
> > Is this a two-node setup where the directors are also realservers? Just
> > trying to get the architecture clear in my head.
> Yes, that's right.

OK.

Remove the LVS rules from the backup director altogether, please. Just
humour me on this one :)

Actually, if you don't want to humour me, have a read back in the list
archives for similar scenarios. What can happen once connection sync is
in use is that a packet can "ping-pong" between the directors in the
following way - the timing here is slightly out of order for reasons
which should be obvious:

1. SYN for VIP arrives at master
2. Master looks up SYN in connection table; no match
3. Master sends SYN onto realserver 2 (which is a backup director)
4. Backup director receives SYN, looks up connection table; no match
5. Backup director sends SYN onto realserver 1 (master director)
6. Master director receives SYN, looks up in table, matches realserver 2
7. Master director sends packet to realserver 2
8. Backup director receives SYN, looks up connection table; matches
realserver 1
9. Backup sends packet to realserver 1
10. Goto 6.

With ever-faster networking this is likely to kill interrupt processing
before it saturates the network.

I've used fwmark handling to ensure that packets coming from the "other"
machine do not get handled by LVS at all, which resolves the problem.

This might not be what you're seeing, but it could be. Better to check.

Graeme