Re: [lvs-users] Heartbeat and Ldiretord

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Heartbeat and Ldiretord
From: Michael Schhwartzkopff <misch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 06:53:25 +0200
On Wednesday 15 September 2010 22:47:08 Henrique Fernandes wrote:
> I am having problens configuring this kind of setup. Heartbeat works fine,
> but i guess i am getting wrong in the logic.
>
> What i want!
>

> 2 load-balancer with  HB and ldiretord
> 2 Postfix.
>
> Think about this.
>
> have 2 shared ips for the load-balancer.
> one external and one internal.
>
> will call lb1 and lb2 for load-balancers  and pf1 pf2 for postfix
>
> ips are just illustratives
>
> lb1:
> shared  external ip 222.222.222.222 in eth0
> shared  internal ip  192.168.0.1  in eth2 ( this will be the gateway for
> pf1 e pf2 )
> internal ip 192.168.0.3
>
> lb2:
>
> shared  external ip 222.222.222.222 in eth0
> shared  internal ip  192.168.0.1  in eth2 ( this will be the gateway for
> pf1 e pf2 )
> internal ip 192.168.0.2
>
> pf1:
> internal ip 192.168.0.11
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> pf2:
> internal ip 192.168.0.12
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> Ldirectord checks the pf and etc. This step works fine.
>
> Now the problem is the heartbeat.
>
> I am doing ucast. over interface eth2 in both but look the problem.
>
> The heartbeat is checking ok if the lb1 shutdowns.
>
> But problens begins when:
>
> lb1 loses eth0, heartbeat simple does nothing.
> lb1 loses eth2, heartbeat in lb2 think lb1 had going down, and takeover,
> but now we have conflict ips.
>
> How to solve this ?
>
> Now researching more, i find out that heartbeat can do check in 2
> interfaces. But problem still hapens, just will be harder to happen.
>
> I guess if i introduce more one node, it may do the tricky. Cause now we
> have 3 nodes, and they can never have a tie. and becamo with same ip. But
> this new heartbeat will only have heartbet without ldiretord.
>
> I am current not using stonith, should i use ?
> If anyone have any tips please i would be glad to hear them!!
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

what you describe is the typical split brain szenario.
Using two heartbeat  connections dramatically reduces the probability of a
split brain.
Introduction of STONITH reduces the impact of a split brain -> No double IP in
your net.

With three nodes you could also use the quorum technique.

You also could use the pingd resource to run the ldirectord resource on a node
with full network connectivity.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff