[lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?
From: Dave Porter <dporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:48:05 -0400
Hey guys,

I'm sure someone has run into this before, but I couldn't find anything
searching.

I'm trying to build a Load Balancer to several Load Balancer configuration -
I'm using ldirectord for configuration.

eg.

Global Loadbalancer GVIP --> Regional LoadBalancer RVIP --> Real Servers RIP

10.116.3.10      -->       10.116.4.11     -->     192.168.1.1

I'm using LVS-Tun (ipip)  from the Global to the Regionals, then the Regionals
run masquarading to the Real Servers.

The issue I'm seeing is that the LVS at the regionals only listens on the
RVIP:port it owns, and in order to service the Global VIP, it needs to listen
on the Global VIP:port as well as the RVIP:port

In other words, the regional load balancer listens on 10.116.4.11:80 (and needs
to for the health checks to work from the global), but packets arrive from the
global with destination 10.116.3.11:80 - these are ignored by the regional as
there is no 'application' listening there.

I can solve the issue by tunnelling the GVIP:port combination to the RVIP:port
within the Regional box itself, but this seems a bit of a messy solution?

Is there a nice neat solution for this ?

Thanks !

Dave Porter
dporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx