Re: [lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?
From: Caleb Anthony <caleb.anthony@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:27:57 -0600
At my organization, we are doing something very similar to this, but we are
going from LVS-TUN to LVS-DR to Real Server using firewall marks:

Client --> LVS-TUN --> LVS-DR --> Real Server --> Back to the Client.

This configuration forced us to configure LVS in a strange way. We basically
needed a dedicated "remote delivery address" as we called it.

Incoming traffic that is destined for the Real Server is firewall marked.
The LVS-TUN server then forwards the traffic to the LVS-DR server using a
dedicated address just for this communication. That server, de-capsualtes
it, and then forwards it to the Real Server, which then replies to the
Client.

Here is what our ldirectord looks like (very simplified):

On the LVS-TUN server 10.0.0.1:

virtual = xx
     real = 10.0.0.2 ipip 1 (i.e the LVS-DR server)
     protocol = fwm

On the LVS-DR server 10.0.0.2

virtual = xx
     real = 10.0.0.3 gate 1 (i.e. the Real Server)
     protocol = fwm

The Real Server of course runs 10.0.0.1 on the loopback interface.

What we're really accomplishing here is if a request comes into a data
center, but another one of our data centers is closer to the client who made
the request, we redirect that traffic to the other data center. Requests are
small, but replies are large, so this works for us. I've tried to simplify a
complicated setup above, so let me know if it's not clear. I think that you
should be able to accomplish the same using LVS-NAT.