Re: [lvs-users] LVS problem with unreachable - need to frag

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS problem with unreachable - need to frag
From: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:58:09 +0100
> Hi simon,
>
> I have already check those parameter. and those are already off.
> Offload parameters for eth0:
> rx-checksumming: on
> tx-checksumming: on
> scatter-gather: on
> tcp-segmentation-offload: on
> udp-fragmentation-offload: on
> generic-segmentation-offload: on
> generic-receive-offload: off
> large-receive-offload: off
>
> i am not sure what is causing this issue :!

The packet comming in is too large and says: "do not fragment me". Due to some
misconfiguration your loadbalancer cannot send the ICMP "need to frag but DF
bit set" back to the client. So MTU path discovery does not work and the
connection cannot be established.

You have two options:

- Clear the DF bit on the incomming interface of the loadbalancer. This can be
done within the netfilter frame. I'd have to lookup
the details, but I'd suggest the prerouting mangle table.

- Make the path MTU discovery work, i.e. let the loadbalancer send ICMP need
to frag packets.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63