Re: [lvs-users] HTTP Uploads failing when traffic via CloudFlare

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] HTTP Uploads failing when traffic via CloudFlare
From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 23:54:56 +0530
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a setup - 1 director and 2 real servers and LVS TUN is used
> because they're located at different places.
>
> Now, the problem is that whenever someone tries to upload a large
> image (~400 KB) via CloudFlare, it just gets stuck and fails. The same
> works when I do it directly.
>
> Tried contacting CloudFlare, and they say everything is right on their side.
>
> I suspect this has something to do with LVS Tun. What could be the problem?
>
> Tried setting MTU = 1400 as per
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#setting_mtu_by_route
> but that doesn't help either.

Okay some info on the MTU thing, I was seeing ICMP frag required
messages in tcpdump on director.
As per the guide, I changed MTU of outgoing interface on real servers
to 1480 and changed MTU of tunnel to 1500. It stopped those messages
and now I see lot of packets with F flag possibly indicating that
fragmentation works correctly. But uploads still don't work.