[lvs-users] DTLS Load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] DTLS Load balancing
From: Simon Bernard <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:21:30 +0200
Hi,

   There is a draft[1] at the IETF about connection ID for DTLS . This
is a way to identify a "DTLS connection" by an ID instead of the
classical Ip address/port tuple. The objective is to reduce the need of
DTLS full handshake when client address/port change.

    I would like to know if it make sense to make load balancing based
on this connection ID.

    Here is the use case:
    You have a cluster of servers behind a unique IP address.
    You do load balancing using IP address.
    You use UDP/DTLS.
    Some clients are behind NAT and so theirs IP/port can change.
    DTLS connection states are store in each server and so are not shared.

    So if clients use same address/port, there is no issue as traffic
will be redirect always on the same server. Server has already a
connection for this peer, no need to full-handshake.
    If address/port change, 2 possibilities:
      - by chance load balancer, send traffic to the same server and
thanks to CID the server can reuse its connection, no-need to full-handshake
      - bad luck, traffic is redirect on server which does not know this
peer, so a new full-handshake is needed.

    It seems to me that doing load balancing on this connection ID could
solve the problem. [2]

    Does it make sense to you ? Is it a way to extends LVS to support
this kind of behavior ? I don't think so as LVS seems to be a 4-layers
load balancer, but I'm still interesting to know your opinions as your
seems to know better than me in load-balancing.

Thx

Simon

[1]https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id-00
[2]https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg24619.html