Re: [lvs-users] slow ramp with WLC (weighted least connections)

To: Phillip Moore <pdm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] slow ramp with WLC (weighted least connections)
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:56:03 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017, Phillip Moore wrote:

> WLC works well for us except when an idle server is added back to taking
> load. This is the common 'thundering herd' problem. I saw in the old howto
> this was fixed with a patch for slower rampup for new nodes. But it doesn't
> look like this was ever accepted as a patch.
>
> Is it there and I just not recognizing it in the code or was this never
> solved?

        IPVS still has no slow-start mechanism.

        In the past I also tried to implement it but without
much success. The problem is how to create lockless
scheduler (just like WLC and LC) where the slow-start mechanism
that does not hurt the SMP performance. It can be also as option
for these schedulers.

> The old patch I mentioned is mentioned here:
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.ipvsadm.html#thundering_herd
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

Regards