Re: Clueless question..

To: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Clueless question..
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Robert Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:34:41 +1100
Wensong Zhang wrote:

> You must set the default route of hosts 203.63.158.2 and 203.63.158.9 to
> 203.63.158.10. Because in the current virtual server implementation, the

Yup, figured that one out, and I've actually managed to get it working - the
trick was the ipfwadm -F -a m .. line that was hidden, too 8-)

> By the way, you can use the private internet for your proxy servers.

I did that when I was originally setting it up.  But, for some unknown reason,
using 10.1.3.x address space resulted in -very- slow accepts of the
connections. I ended up using a real, routable, addresss space, and forcibly
routing those addresses (inwards) through the virt server. It's now pretty
quick.  At the moment, I've got it set up with only one machine on the private
lan, and I'm in the middle of getting ready to move some more of the proxys
onto it 8)

Here's the current setup:

203.63.158.9,2,10,others 8-)  vv eth0
----100mb switched segment----proxy0
                            eth1 |   203.63.12.2         203.63.12.3
                  203.63.12.1 ^^ |      proxy1              proxy2

At the moment, the machines are on a pretty basic unswitched 10mb LAN, but
it'll be nice and easy to upgrade to a decent 100mb full-duplex if I start
getting a bottleneck there.

My next task is to figure out if I can redirect to the local machine, so I can
put Squid on 203.63.12.1 as well as 2 and 3.

--Rob