The problem of Linux 2.2.3 tunnel device

To: VS List <linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: The problem of Linux 2.2.3 tunnel device
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:48:45 +0800
Hi All,

Today I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.3 with tunneling support on one of a
real server, and found a problem that the Linux 2.2.3 tunnel device answers
ARP requests. Even if I used the NOARP options as follows:
        ifconfig tunl0 172.26.20.110 -arp netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast
172.26.20.110
It still answers the ARP requests. This will greatly affect the virtual
server via tunneling work properly. In fact, the tunnel device shouldn't
answer the ARP requests from the ethernet. I think it is a bug of
linux/net/ipv4/ipip.c, which is now a clone of ip_gre.c not the original
tunneling code.

If you are interested, you can test yourself on kernel 2.2.3, choose a free
IP address of your ethernet and configure it on the tunl0 device, then
telnet to that IP address from other host, I guess you can. Finally, have a
look at the ipip.c, maybe you can debug it. :-)

Have a good day,

Wensong