Re: A new 2.2 VS patch

To: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A new 2.2 VS patch
Cc: Peter Kese <peter.kese@xxxxxx>, linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:20:46 +0800

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Some wishes and issues:
>
> We need to modify the weights of the servers after adding them, so a userlevel
> program can do load-informed scheduling.
>
> What would be cool would be some sort of ability to inform a userlevel process
> about newly setup entries / expired entries, and an ability to control this
> from a userlevel process. One could than use the heartbeat code to keep these
> in sync between multiple systems and not lose the connection when a takeover
> happens.

Yeah, it is cool.

I used to discuss this issue with Alan Robertson. Here is his reply,
hope it can help your design.

Alan Robertson wrote:

> Wensong Zhang wrote:
>
> We can exchange more information through heartbeat channel too. For
> example, the primary load balancer can send its state information
> (such as connection hash table) to the backup through heartbeat
> channel, this feature can be used to build high degree of fault
> tolerance.

In the current code, you should understand that there are limits on how big a
message can be.  Also,there is no retransmission or error correction protocol,
so this needs to be taken into account.  Also, since a newline is a delimiter
(at least in the serial version), so you can't easily send binary data.

> My schedule for making this work is approx 4 weeks, so if no one steps forward
> to implement this, I will probably do it sometime between then and now +/- N
> weeks ;-) (But since I am not really a C fan, I would appreciate some
> discussion and having someone else do it;)

I look forward to seeing it. :-)

Good luck,

Wensong