Newbie question

To: loadbalancing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx, maurice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Newbie question
Cc: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Matt Kenigson <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 13:27:36 -0500
Hi guys,

Here's a newbie question for you:

I understand the concepts behind load balancing for web servers, yet I can
find very little information about how information is replicated between
these servers.  Here's a scenario:  Let's say we have a small farm of five
web servers, all serving the same 200 virtual domains.  The load balancing
is being taken care of by your method of preference.  Now let's say that a
client, who has FTP access to his or her file area, wishes to make a change
to a site.  The client initiates an FTP session, which connects to one of
the five servers, makes some changes, and closes the session.  Now one of
the five servers has different content than the others.  How are these
changes propagated to the other four servers?  Are there a lot of different
mechanisms that work independently of the load balancing and
high-availability (HA) solutions you and others provide, or is data
replication an integral part of your solution(s)?

If you can provide links to sources of information on this topic, I would
be most appreciative!

Thanks,

Matt Kenigson