Buffer overflow when listing large number of VLS's?

To: <linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Buffer overflow when listing large number of VLS's?
From: Ted Pavlic -- List Mail Account <tpavlic_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:02:01 -0400
I'm using the VS 0.5 patch for a Linux 2.2.9 kernel.

Recently I configured 254 virtual servers on my LinuxDirector. This worked
fine, but whenever I tried to list them... random things would occur.
Sometimes the kernel would give me a GPF... sometimes the machine would
completely lockup... Sometimes my shell would core dump... etc... etc...

It sounds like the ipvsadm -L is not checking the size of the buffer its
dumping its list into before it prints it... Memory is being overwritten
outside of the buffer and causing problems. (I haven't actually looked at
the code, but I'm guessing this is the problem... buffer overflows are
pretty common)

But things (the actual load balancing) work fine... as long as I don't view
my VLS's. :)

Can anyone else confirm these findings?

All the best --
Ted