[lvs-users] Suggestion for another LB algorithm

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] Suggestion for another LB algorithm
From: "Burd, Greg" <gburd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:18:36 -0500
I happened across the following doing some research on LB algorithms for Web
and Application Servers.  I believe this algorithm is the foundation of the
IBM WebSphere Application Server (via second hand information).  You may
find it interesting.

http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/cgi-bin/bibshow?e=Ufdisfqpsut0ODTUSM0VUFYBT%60DT/v
ojrvf%7d217252:&r=bibtex

regards,

-greg

@TechReport{UTEXAS_CS//CS-TR-98-20,
  type =         "Technical Report",
  number =       "CS-TR-98-20",
  institution =  "University of Texas, Austin",
  title =        "Interpreting Stale Load Information",
  month =        oct # " 1,",
  year =         "1998",
  bibdate =      "November 24, 98",
  url =          "ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/techreports/tr98-20.ps.Z";,
  author =       "Michael Dahlin",
  abstract =     "In this paper we examine the problem of balancing load
                 in a large-scale distributed system when information
                 about server loads may be stale. It is well known that
                 sending each request to the machine with the apparent
                 lowest load can behave badly in such systems, yet this
                 technique is common in practice. Other systems use
                 round-robin or random selection algorithms that
                 entirely ignore load information or that only use a
                 small subset of the load information. Rather than risk
                 extremely bad performance on one hand or ignore the
                 chance to use load information to improve performance
                 on the other, we develop strategies that interpret load
                 information based on its age. Through simulation, we
                 examine several simple algorithms that use such load
                 interpretation strategies under a range of workloads.
                 Our experiments suggest that by properly interpreting
                 load information, systems can (1) match the performance
                 of the most aggressive algorithms when load information
                 is fresh, (2) outperform current algorithms by as much
                 as 60\% when information is moderately old, (3)
                 significantly outperform random load distribution when
                 information is older still, and (4) avoid pathological
                 behavior even when information is extremely old.",
}